Commentators are underrated here’s why…



Image from L C on YouTube

We’ve all seen ‘em. The people in the grandstand with their earphones in, listening to the live radio broadcast of the game.


Geniuses. 


I’ve never actually done this but I feel it’s something I should try sometime. When I’m at the game I miss hearing the commentators adding more intensity and knowledge to the game as it unfolds in front of my eyes. Well, on a screen. 


Commentators do something that I think is overlooked and under appreciated by many AFL fans. 


Think of any iconic AFL moment. I am sure you can remember almost word for word what the commentator said.


“Jesaulenko! You beauty!” 


“Leo Barry you star!”


“Thirteen! THIRTEEEEN!”


“Boyd’s kicked a goal! From inside the centre square! F__K!”


Those are some of my most fond one’s that I remember more than anything and half of that is because of the commentator magic that made these so memorable.


There must be so many other moments in history where a player has done something astonishing but the commentating was kinda eh so not many people remember it.


A perfect example is Andrew Walker’s screamer at the MCG. You know. This one…

Image from Getty Images


Look how high he gets! But all we got from the commentators was “ohhhhh!”. Even though 60,000 other people were saying the exact same thing. I’m not blaming it on the commentators BUT, Walker was robbed from Mark Of The Year. He somehow won mark of the decade though and I don’t even know how that works.


Now think of some legendary footy commentators. I can think of a couple off the top of my head; Lou Richards, Denis Cometti and Bruce McAvaney. (Sorry BT. Soon mate.) All of these commentators had 3 things in common that made them legends. Energetic, original and they all called it as they saw it. 


Thats what all footy fans want to hear when they turn on the TV and that’s what footy players want to hear when they watch their highlights. 


They just don’t know it.









Comments

Popular Post's🔥

Jarrod Berry Eye Gouge Incident: What Experts Had To Say

The Wildest BBL Melbourne Derby Yet

What An Essendon Fan Has Thought Of The Last 24 Hours